Laufenburg, a split town with a century-old joint history that is still present with the narrow alleys and high houses along the Rhine is a medieval pearl. In the Peace of Lunéville, Napoleon declared in 1801 that the River Rhine crossing Laufenburg be the national border. That is why Laufenburg is in two countries. The part left of the Rhine belongs to Switzerland. The part right of the Rhine belongs to Germany. Despite this political separation and some individual developments, both towns left and right of the Rhine remain strong ties extending the shared historic city centre. During the famous Alemannic carnival for example, the national borders are removed by the joint carnival guild founded in 1386.