555 inhabitants – 450m above sea level – 439ha. In 1239, the town was mentioned for the first time, as “Hochsala”. The name indicates it was royal land and that there was early settlement. The political meaning of the town during the Middle Ages and the great parish lead to the conclusion that it was from here, that the Hotzenwald was settled. At the time, the parish included Rhina, Albbruck, Rotzel Niederwihl, Herrischried, Wehra and Todtmoosand it was incumbent to the monastery Säckingen. After the so-called “saltpetre upheavals” in the 18th and 19th century and the accession to Baden in 1806, Hochsal lost its important position. Since 1975, Hochsal belongs to Laufenburg.

<Hauenstein Luttingen>