97 inhabitants – 320m above sea level – 30ha. This village is where the county got its name – Hauenstein County – from. From 1152, the village was part of the Habsburg possessions and in 1317, it had all the privileges and rights of a town. But since the village always lacked the necessary infrastructure. It never became a “proper” town. When all the important administration was shifted to the town of Waldshut at the turn of the 15th/16th century, the village lost all political meaning. Since 1972, Hauenstein belongs to Laufenburg.